Products Details

Current Location :Products

Diatomite Filter Aids

Diatomite Filter Aids

 

Diatomite Earth | Celatom DE | Manufacture Procedure of Celatom | Application of Celatom | Celatom Products

 

What is diatomite?


   Diatomite, also known as Kieselguhr, is a plant mineral, represents multiple diatomite fossile sediment. Diatomite is known as an amazing mineral because its light weight, its porosity and honeycomb structure makes it a perfect filtration medium. Also, its natural stability and its non-nocuous composition makes diatomite earth an excellent choice for food, drink and medical industries where high purity is required.


   There are many diatomite mines around the world, however only several of them have adequate purity and enough quantity, are worthy to be processed into filtration aids. Eaglepicher Company is lucky enough to own two of those mines, in Nevada and in Oregon.


   Diatomite was a tiny single-celled phytoplankton, there were many kinds of diatomite living in the fresh and in the salt water, they lived close to the surface of the water, as part of many phytoplankton. The were at the bottom layer of the food chain when they were alive, and left a beautiful symmetrical structure like the mini pearls after they were dead. Most other plants use the sun light to compose the cell wall organization, while diatomite choose to distill the formless silicon dioxide to help build the shell that is very exquisite, highly hard and with highly symmetrical porosity.


 

Celatom Diatomite Earth


Regeneration


   The tiny diatom was neither male nor female; they regenerate themselves by a typical way of symmetrically cell dividing. Under suitable circumstances, they can regenerate twice in a day, that's why there are so many diatomite mines.


   There are films in both sides of the living diatomite shell, with the film adjusting they carry through chemical substance exchanging with the water environment around them. After their death, the films are decomposed by the germs, the silicon dioxide shell with symmetrical porosity is all that left. Amusingly, present diatoms are practically identical both in shape and size, with the ancestors from millions of years ago.



  Celatom Diatomite Earth


  The diatomite earth used in the Celatom is all from fresh water, whose typical symmetric column structure ensures excellent mechanism characteristic. About 50 to 20 million years ago, large quantities of diatomite earth sediment was formed in places now known as Nevada and Oregon in USA. After millions of years of huge geological changes, the diatomite sediment exposed on the surface of the ground and became the abundant mineral sources that can be exploited through modern technique. Those abundant and high quality diatomite mineral are the sources of Eaglepicher’s Celatom.


Quality demands over the filtration aids


   Purity is the most important quality of diatomite earth, even a very small quantity of impurity could terribly affect the characteristic of the filtration aids. Therefore, Getting rid of the impurity from the diatomite mineral is a very important procedure.


   A good filtration aids must be highly purified, inert, indissolvable, and have many tiny paths when they form pre-coating layers. Celatom’s solid content is only 15 percent of is appearance volume, the other 85% is all the tiny porosity that allows liquid flowing and prevents little drops of solid dust.


   As a filtration aids, diatomite earth has series of properties that fits all levels of viscosity demanded by liquid, such as drinks, extractions, oils, chemicals, drugs etc. For the filtration liquid could be either cold or worm, and the solids to get rid of differ in levels of difficulty to solve, filtration medium have tough tasks, fortunately, Celatom performs outstandingly under any circumstance.



The craftwork of Celatom DE


-          Choosing the minerals, analyzing the element content and exploiting if they fit.


-          Grinding the minerals, and delivering them into the storing tank


-          Processing the mineral according to the products:


· Natural Dry Type --- just went through the speed evaporation, grinding and mechanic separating.


· Calcining or Filtration Aids Type --- evaporated and grinded mineral needs to be calcined in the kiln.


-           The calcining temperatures differ according to different products.


-           Add the alkali before the calcining when dealing with filtration aids.


-           Carefully grinding the DE, classifying them and send them to the package.


 Quality checking and making sure that products meets the demand. 
previous item: PVC Special Pigment next item: CRISTAL 134